San Luis Obispo de Tolosa
This is a set of resources for the Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa.
Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa
This is the official website for the Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa. They have a nicely done virtual tour and a good facts page with a timeline of the mission.
Source: Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa Parish Center
As Governor Portola and his men trudged northward in 1769 in their search for Monterey Bay, they were surprised at the great number of bears seen at the mouth of a small river, and in a coastal valley beyond, which was promptly named the Valley of the Bears. Read more here.
Source: The Civic Group
The Fifth Mission
This mission marks the halfway point in the California mission chain and is located near the Valley of the Bears. The Spanish had found such a large population of bears in this area that they were able to keep other missions from near starvation by hunting the them and sending the meat to the missions.
Source: BGe Internet Services
Mission San Luis
Father Junipero Serra needed a mission between Mission San Diego and his Mission San Carlos in Monterey. On a trip to Monterey in 1772, Father Serra stopped in the Valley of the Bears and placed a large wooden cross between two creeks. The namesake of the mission was Saint Luis, Bishop of Toulouse.
Source: Juggernaut Technology
Almanac: California Missions
Get a data sheet for this Mission and view some of the oldest pictures available from this site.
Source: Joel Gazis-Sax
California Missions Foundation
The fifth mission was founded on September 1, 1772, by Father Serra. It was named for St. Louis, Bishop of Toulouse, France. The present buildings were constructed from 1792 to 1794.
Source: California Missions Foundation