The Mission San Antonio De Padua was founded as the third California mission, and it is said that it is the only one that would be recognized by Father Junipero Serra, if he saw the missions today. The official website calls the Mission San Antonio De Padua, The Mission that Time Forgot.
What is the official site of Mission San Antonio De Padua?
The official site is maintained by the Friends of Historic San Antonio Mission.
The mission is located on the Fort Hunter Liggett Military Reservation.
Mission San Antonio de Padua
P.O. Box 803
End of Mission Road
Jolon, CA 93928
Phone: (831) 385-4478
Fax: (831) 386-9332
Mission San Antonio De Padua – Mission History
Below is a short history of the mission. For a full history, please visit the website shown above.
According to the official website of Mission San Antonio De Padua, the mission was founded by Father Junipero Serra and run by his order until the mission was declared public property by Governor Figueroa in 1834. In 1851, a young priest, Fr. Ambris, takes up residence in the church, and in 1863 the US Land Bureau returns the mission and its land to the Catholic Church. The mission is abandoned again in 1883 when Fr. Ambris dies. The California Landmark League begins restoration from 1903-1908 and the Franciscan Order is invited back to the mission in 1928. They remain at the mission and restore it back to its original beauty throughout the following years until they pass on the mission to the Diocese of Monterey in 2005. Today, the Diocese uses the mission as a retreat center.
Photos of Mission San Antonio De Padua
This gallery has some beautiful photos of the mission. (Be sure to click next to see them all). There is also a short write-up and photos on the local wildlife.
General MIssion Information
The remainder of the website contains information on various facilities at the Mission including their gift shop, museum, fiesta grounds, wedding facilities, and retreat center.